School of Rock – Day 15 – Celebration and Reflection

SUMMARY

• I took a school of rock class where I learned how to collaborate with others and started learning how to play the bass.

LEADERSHIP ACTIVITY

My ‘Big Project’ was a collaboration with Nyla and Clinton where we made a cover of the song “Glimpse of us” by Joji. Clinton, Nyla and I all worked on separate parts of our collaboration. Nyla on vocals, Clinton on piano, I worked on bass, and Clinton and I worked on mixing together.

Score: 4

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

• While in this class I learned about how songs are made, what measures, notes, and chords are, and how to make a song. This part of the class was interesting to me because I was never taught anything about music theory before and was never taught how to read sheet music but this class helped me start to understand more about music and how it works.

Score: 5

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• In this room I learned about how to use Hook theory, this was completely new to me but it was easy to figure out especially with the videos. I learned about chord progressions and more about music theory through this room.

Score: 3

PRACTICE ROOM (GUITAR LESSONS)

• I learned how to play some songs on bass and also learned some good habits for improving both my playing and my motivation to play. This room caught my interest from the beginning because it was the main reason why I wanted to take this class.

Score: 5

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• In this room I learned some different things about the music making process, how different artists have different processes, strategies for practicing, and about the brain.

Score: 4

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

I learned how to use microphones in soundtrap and how to fix the timing on songs.

Score: 3

CONTROL ROOM (RECORDING & MIXING)

• I learned how to use soundtrap and hook theory. This room was interesting because I got to learn more about the technology side of making music.

Your score: 4

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• In this class I mainly learned about music theory, how to collaborate effectively with others on music, and how to use new platforms for making music. In the past three weeks I enjoyed learning how to play and record bass the most. Towards the end of this class I was able to improve my quality of work and focus better on what I was supposed to be working on. I am proud of learning a few songs on the bass and being able to stick with it throughout the class.

THE COURSE’s ACTIVITY EVALUATION (OVERALL)

Content (The WHAT)

Rating: 3

In the last three weeks I was most interested in learning about music theory and how to play the bass.

The most surprising and satisfying thing I learned in this class was was how to practice better and focus more on the task at hand.

Process (The HOW)

Rating: 3

I like that we had specific times to work on different things because it helped to keep me on task.

I didn’t like the amount of time we had in each room because sometimes it felt like I didn’t have enough time to complete a task.

If I took the class again I would try my best to get rid of the distractions that stopped me from doing my best n this class.